From Livedoc - The Documentation Repository
Use this page as a checklist for updating usernames.
The following items need to be updated when a username change is requested:
- Active Directory (handled by Windows IT staff)
- rename AFS username (pts) (ex: pts rename bnhouston bnferrick)
- cd to rewrite user location (ex: cd /afs/csl.tjhsst.edu/.staff)
- remove old mountpoint (ex: fs rmmount bnhouston)
- rename AFS home directory volume name (vos) (ex: vos rename staff.bnhouston staff.bnferrick)
- remake AFS home directory mountpoint read-write (ex: fs mkmount bnferrick staff.bnferrick -rw)
- release read-write user location (ex: vos release staff)
- NSS LDAP (gecos, homeDirectory) (ex: look at getent passwd bnferrick and fix it if necessary)
- Verify username (uid) and name (cn, sn, givenName) fields; they should automatically be updated by Identity Synchronization for Windows. If they were not, it may be time for a reinstall of ISW.
- Intranet LDAP (username, name fields); in the future if LDAP is moved to Sun LDAP + ISW, all of these changes will become automatic and need only be verified
- Mail (the sync script will make a new account, as if there were a new user; the old user's data needs to be moved to the new user's home directory on the mail system)