Frequently Asked Questions for the Class of 2016
1. Where do I find information and registration paperwork for Summer School?
- Information about Summer School can be found on the Summer School Website.
- Students in the Class of 2016 can only submit their Summer School Registration paperwork AFTER they have formally registered with the school on April 24th or 25th.
- Please address questions about summer school to Allison Bailey and Rusty Hodges.
2. Where do I find information about Transportation?
- Transportation information for students who reside in FCPS will not be available until the middle of August. Those students who do not live in Fairfax County should contact their local school district transportation offices for specific transportation information.
3. How do I select courses for coming school year?
- Students will be provided a username and password to register for classes online when they register for TJHSST. After resetting their password, students will have the ability to log into a secure website and provide the school with their course selections for the coming school year. Additionally, students will be asked to provide alternates in the unlikely event that one of their primary course requests is not available. Upon completion, the student and parent will receive a confirmation email of what selections were submitted. All requests for changes will need to be made directly with the TJ Department of Student Services staff.
4. How do I find out who my counselor will be?
- Counselors are assigned based on a student’s IBET (Integrated Biology,English, Design and Technology) class/cohort which is determined once scheduling is completed late August. You will get the name of your counselor on Orientation Day just before the start of school in late August.
5. What should we do if we move and need to change our address before school starts?
- It’s important if you are considering moving that you contact the Admissions Office to make sure that you don’t jeopardize your eligibility to attend Thomas Jefferson because of where you want to move. The Admissions office is the primary and sole point of contact for address changes throughout a student’s tenure at TJHSST. The Admissions office phone number is 571-423-3770.
6. What do we do if we are unable to attend either Registration Night?
- Everyone should make every possible effort to attend one of the two Registration Nights. If a family cannot attend either of the Registration Nights they are asked to contact the Student Services office directly as soon as possible after the Registration Nights to determine the next best course of action. Failure to register by May 18, 2012 may result in a student losing their offer of admission.
7. My student is still unsure if TJ is right for them. Is it possible to get a tour of the school, shadow a current student or meet with a counselor?
- Unfortunately, it is not possible to accommodate tours and shadowing; they would be too disruptive to the learning of the current TJ students. Counselors are equally busy meeting the needs of current students and are therefore not available to meet individually with incoming freshmen and their families. There will be time to talk briefly with TJ counselors on the Registration Nights but the counselors will only be able to offer general guidance and counsel. Please work with your child’s current counselor at their middle school to help them determine if TJHSST is a good choice for them or not. Also, consult the TJHSST Calendar to see if there is a public event your student could attend that could help them give a better feel for the TJ experience.