Challenger Chapter Service Guidelines
- Participating in any NHS-sponsored event (ie. food drive)
- Donating Items to a Club Sponsored Drive that has been approved by NHS
- Please do not these hours online, you must sign up on a list provided by the sponsoring club which will be submitted to NHS
- Organizing your own service project that is NHS-approved
- Volunteering at a school-sponsored event (ie. Techstravaganza) – as long as you are not part of the club that is sponsoring the event and you are not obligated to attend
- Tutoring TJ students under teacher supervision
- Students you tutor must be at least one level lower than you in that class (ie. a Pre-Calc student may tutor an Algebra II or Geometry student)
- Tutoring at neighboring elementary and middle schools during 8th period
- Volunteering at with a local organization such as an animal shelter, hospital, homeless shelter, community events etc.
What does not count?
- Time spent at an unpaid internship or mentorship
- Service activities required by your Girl Scout/Boy Scout troop, or a similar obligation
- Any service for which you receive some kind of grade or extra credit for a class or that is required for a class
- Service hours for another club may not count for both that club and for NHS (ie. service hours for French Honor Society cannot be counted for both societies)
- Any activity that falls under your duties as a member or officer of another club or organization
- Transportation time to a service event
- Clarification: transportation time can only be counted if the service you are performing is making deliveries of some kind.
- Fundraising activities for any club or sports team (even if you're just helping out)
- Aiding a family member or relative
- Any activity where you receive monetary compensation
Last modified: Thursday, 18 October 2012, 01:09 PM